“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones that you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” . . . . Mark Twain
USI/Wells Fargo Traveler’s insurance is mandatory per the NOCCCD. Insurance will be purchased once the student has been accepted into the program. Here is the insurance plan: 17-18_CASchoolsSA_Highlight_FINAL
Survival Kit for Overseas Living by Robert Kohls
You can find this book at most bookstores. Try finding books online too. You can find used inexpensive copies.
What”s Up with Culture? http://www.pacific.edu/sis/culture
This website is an on-line cultural training resource for study abroad. Feel free to explore this site. It contains numerous interactive self-evaluation exercises to assist in your self-reflection.
Pay special attention to the following sections on this website:
Module 1: What to Know Before You Go
- Personal Explorations (Sec 1.1)
- Culture (Section 1.2 & 1.2.1)
- Concepts of Time (Sections 1.4.4 and 1.4.5)
- Perceptions of (North) Americans (Sections 1.5.2 & 1.5.3)
- Personal Space (Section 1.6.2)
- Communication Differences (Section 1.6.3) Study Abroad Student Handbook: This guide provides valuable information to guide you from the time you think of studying abroad until you return home: http://www.studentsabroad.com. Students Abroad -US Department of State: Gives information on before you go, when you’re abroad, and learning about your destination: Students Abroad. The IIEPassport Student Guide: This site is based on frequently asked questions on studying abroad, everything from staying healthy to managing money and creating a budget: Student Guide.
- Find out about countries. Learn as much as you can before you go:U.S. State Department Advice for Studying Abroad http://travel.state.gov/travel/living/studying/studying_1238.html U.S. State Department – learn about your destination:http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1765.htmlCIA World Factbook: World Fact book
What Statistics say about Study Abroad Students:
Take a look at UC Merced’s study abroad statistics!
Take a look at Generation Abroad 2016 Fact Sheet